Chancellor's Fund for Excellence
This unrestricted fund was established in 2001. Gifts to the Chancellor’s Fund for Excellence demonstrate support of the chancellor’s vision for the University of Missouri. This fund has enabled the chancellor to:
- Make available financial support to address MU’s most compelling needs;
- Take advantage of unexpected opportunities;
- Provide seed money for innovative programs and new research; and
- Hire, retain and reward stellar faculty.
At the end of fiscal year 2011, the Chancellor’s Fund general endowment, combined with 26 named Chancellor’s Fund endowments, was valued at almost $9 million. Various donors have advised MU that a total of $11 million has been designated in planned gift commitments to the Chancellor’s Fund. Each year, as the annual distribution from the endowment has increased, the chancellor has gained flexibility to create new opportunities for students and faculty. Since the fund's inception, the chancellor has utilized the funds to:
- Recognize student excellence through the Discovery Fellows Program and undergraduate research;
- Provide faculty fellowships;
- Assist in bringing in world-renowned scientist M. Frederick Hawthorne from UCLA to the new International Institute of Nano and Molecular Medicine;
- Contribute to the funding of chairs in Education, Veterinary Medicine, and Medicine (Psychiatry); and
- Support new Mizzou Advantage projects.
Gifts of any size to the Chancellor’s Fund for Excellence are welcome. Gifts to the fund may qualify donors for membership in the Chancellor’s Society.
From the Chancellor
I am very grateful to alumni and friends for recognizing the importance of giving to campus decision-makers the flexibility to fulfill compelling needs and take advantage of promising opportunities.
The University of Missouri will be stronger because of the Chancellor’s Fund for Excellence, which gives us the much-needed resources to ensure that our students receive the best preparation for lifelong successes.
The Chancellor's Fund for Excellence Development Committee was established in 2009. Made up of Chancellor's Society members, the purpose of this committee is to assist the chancellor and the Office of Development in promoting campus-wide unrestricted giving, to educate alumni and friends about the vital role the Chancellor's Fund for Excellence plays in the success of the university, and to encourage support of this fund.